Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Boom Boom Bangkok

We're just back from Burma, and return to an uneasy Chiang Mai. The State of Emergency has intensified now that the violent protests in Bangkok have spread here. Red shirt protesters have set the Governor's mansion on fire, and there are lots of rumors about trouble at the bus and train stations. An 8pm to 6am curfew has been imposed, although the streets are still pretty busy.



The unrest is causing one particular nuisance for me. The store where I bought the khim instrument is closed, and I was going to ship it back to the States. I stopped to pick it up on the way back from Burma, and a policeman shooed me away from the shopping center entrance. When I asked him why everything was shut down, his only words were, "Boom boom Bangkok."

No comments: