Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Chiang Mai

Hello, Best Daughter!

Isabelle, since the video Skype isn't working right now, I've decided I'm going to make Flip videos for you and post them here on your blog. I recorded this one outside of the Amari Hotel where we're staying in Chiang Mai.



The hotel only costs $35 a night, and has a huge pool. I've gone swimming twice since we've been here. You know the hot tub at our pool? Well, this entire pool feels like a hot tub because it's very hot right now in Thailand - over a hundred degrees. My first swim was at 4 in the morning - the moon was still out, and it was beautiful seeing the crescent moon through the palm trees as the sun started to come up.

Guess what! I saw two kitties and a doggie tonight! They were playing in a little village that we visited about an hour away from here. I met one Mommy from Burma who told me that she misses her daughter, too. This woman owns her own business, too. It's a small store in a migrant village, and her house is actually part of the store. The most popular item in her store is the tofu she cooks. Each piece of tofu costs one baht which is the equivalent of three cents. She showed me a picture of her daughter who is still living in Burma because she can't afford to raise two children in Thailand.

The food here is delicious! Last night I went to a Burmese restaurant for dinner. There were six of us, and we ordered 9 dishes, one big beer, and one iced tea. The whole meal only cost $10! Some of the foods have funny names. Two of my favorite dishes have been salads: pennywort salad and tea leaf salad.

Thank you so much for my beautiful Mother's Day picture!!! It's spectacular--and so are you!

No comments: