Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Making Music

When we came back to the hotel last night, there was a talented musician playing the khim (yup, pronounced just like the girl's name). The khim is a traditional Thai stringed instrument that's played with two, thin bamboo sticks. The musician gave me and Uncle Sean turns to play it. (I warn you - this is an incredibly pathetic attempt to nail down Jingle Bells.)



Obviously I need lots of practice! That's why I'm bringing a khim home with me! I bought one tonight so that you can enjoy playing it, too.

At a Buddhist temple the other day, we also had a chance to play a special temple gong - one that has 8 gongs. You can play all 8 gongs at the same time by moving a small wooden lever up and down. The gongs are used to call the monks to prayer and for meditation. We recorded our gong playing because we might use it as part of the soundtrack when we're editing this video.

No comments: